Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"As Christians, we are to love the enemy. I wonder in what sense does God love the devil and resist not his evil?"
- Roy M. Pearson Jr. (12/14/1974)

I was four years old when my Grandfather wrote that. Now I am 35 and transcribing as much of his private journals and correspondance as I can to preserve it for future branches of our family tree. It's a tedious task but much to my chagrin, also a very introspective one. If I did not have to stop to digest the information every few pages or so, this rainy day labor of love project would progress a whole lot faster. If my geneticly derived internal filter was not set to spit out poetry every time it gets clotted with dusty memories, I would get a whole hell of a lot more done...

Free speech and static
you and I blend
in blood
and a half empty bottle of wine

Fevered green grass
stretches roots deep into quicksand
not so different
you and I
as we first seem

You the keeper of faith
and me the faithless
both of us
in our own time
lie awake at night
playing endless devil's advocate with God...

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful poem, Laura! I'm glad you shared it with us in the Challenge!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete